Once mold spores find their way into your home and settle into a warm, damp, and humid space, they can spread like wildfire. They can make their way in through an open window, by sticking to the soles of your shoes or getting onto your clothing. If they grow in a place that goes unchecked, you may soon find your home full of the toxic, harmful substance.
The good news is that there are certain signs that you can look out for if you suspect that your home has been infiltrated by mold. If you have these recurring symptoms, it is best that you have your home cleaned and the spores eliminated. This is especially true if you are about to have your home inspected for a real estate sale.
How Do I Know if I Have a Mold Problem?
Mold problems often go unchecked because people aren’t aware of the signs of an infestation. However, homeowners should know to look out for the following:
1 - Skin Problems
Mold can cause all kinds of skin problems, especially if the infestation is excessive. If you have been exposed to mold, your skin may become dry and begin to itch and flake. You may begin to develop inflammation in your skin, especially the parts that came into direct contact with the mold.
2 - Breathing Issues
Breathing problems aren’t unheard of when you are exposed to mold. If you have asthma or other breathing problems, they may worsen with seemingly no cause. Your nasal passages, lungs and throat may also be irritated by mold spores.
3 - Digestive Disorders
Some people may develop digestive problems because of mold. They may develop diarrhea, begin to lose their appetite, and experience unwanted weight loss as a result.
4 - Headaches
If mold particles are inhaled, they may also cause the person to experience hay fever-like symptoms. This may cause the sinuses to become blocked, which may lead to headaches, migraines, and dry and inflamed eyes.
5 - Depression
Mold may also have an effect on a person’s mental health, if it is accidentally taken in. These mental health issues such as depression may stem from dealing with the physical effects that happen when a person is suffering from a mold infection.
Getting Rid of Mold
Keep in mind that mold may begin to grow in any place where there is dampness and moisture. Most of the time, these spaces are difficult to reach and clean. If you are unable to get rid of the mold infestation on your own, it is a good idea to call a professional cleaning service prior to having your home inspected. Keep in mind that the rating of your home may suffer greatly if you do not get rid of every trace of mold.
While there may be really serious effects that may happen to you and all the residents of your home, mold is not impossible to get rid of. Calling a reliable professional cleaning service will help you get rid of your mold, make your home safer and at the same time, increase your chances of getting a high home inspection rating to prepare for your real estate sale. You will have peace of mind knowing that the next person or family to stay in your home will not complain because of mold.
After you take care of the mold infestation in your home, you can contact Let’s Do It Home Inspections for mold testing in Birmingham, AL. We offer mold testing and high-quality professional home inspection services to every homeowner and Realtor. Call (205) 903-4508 or visit our website for inquiries.